Via the Witch Cycling Track through the Czech-Polish border areas - Guide
Nowaki – the village mentioned in 1921. On the river Korzkiew, near the village, a grave field of Lusatian culture and early medieval settlement, dating back to the tenth – thirteenth century, has been discovered. In the middle of the village there is a St. Andrew's Church, mentioned in 1335. In 1505, a new one was built in its place, later rebuilt several times, having parts of stylistic features blurred. Burnt down in 1945 and rebuilt in 1975. The church is surrounded by stone and brick wall built in the sixteenth century. By the road, opposite the church, a medieval penitential cross. In the village, eighteenth-century house with embedded cartouche with the coat of arms of Bishop Philip Schaffgotsch and the date 1758.
Radzikowice – the village mentioned in 1145 as Radzicowvicz or Steffensdorf. There is the St. Bartholomew's Church mentioned in 1335. It was built as the Gothic in style, rebuilt to the Renassance around 1600. The church is surrounded by a stone wall of the sixteenth/seventeenth century, next to the main entrance a Baroque Marian column from 1686. At the fence of the presbytery, one of the penitential crosses, the other is located near the church walls. Before World War II there was an airport, and during the war there were small labour camps, where Polish and British prisoners were kept.
Sękowice – brick, single-nave chapel from the mid-nineteenth century.
Nysa – founding of the "new" city on the Flemish Law is dated to the 1223, along with an older early medieval settlement, which is attributed to the Bolesław Wrymouth. The turning point in the history was the assumption of Otmuchów and Nysa castellany by the bishops of Wrocław. The total assumption of power, also the secular, over the lands of Nysa and Otmuchów, took place in 1290, which was the beginning of the Duchy of Nysa of Bishops of Wrocław, which lasted until 1810, i.e. to the secularization of church properties by the Prussian King, Friedrich Wilhelm III. The fifteenth century brought a huge development of the city, also in terms of architecture. Many buildings were build, among others: St. James and Agnes' Church, 90-meter-high tower of the town hall, St. Barbara's Church. Nysa, since the middle ages, was an important education and science centre. Since 1417, there had been a parochial school, later transformed into the gymnasium. In 1622, Jesuits were brought to the city and attempts to found the university in the city began. Documents indicate that the bishop was going to build a large college that was to have all faculties of Jesuit university. Direct care of bishops of Wrocław was to help in creation and operation of the future university. Unfortunately, the Thirty Years' War interrupted actions of the bishops and Jesuits. Instead of the great Jesuit university a college named "Carolinum" was established, in which, among others, Christopher Scheiner taught, the discoverer of sunspots. On the list of the students we can find, among others, Michael I (Michał Korybut Wiśniowiecki), the future King of Poland. At the turn of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries the city was extended in the Baroque style, example of which is the St. Peter and St. Paul's Church with the monastery of the Order of the Holy Sepulchre. Since 1740 the city was ruled by the Prussians, who transformed Nysa into one of the most important fortress of Silesia. In 1807, the city was besieged by the army of Napoleon. Cannonballs embedded, among others, into the wall of the Weigh House are the memorial of those events. The end of Nysa as a fortress came in the year 1889. Since then, the city becomes an administrative and cultural centre of the southern Opole Silesia. Today, Nysa is one of the most beautiful cities of Silesia with numerous monuments.
Minor Basilica of St. James and St. Agnes
Its history dates back to the beginnings of Nysa. Current, Gothic form, was given by Master Peter from Ząbkowice in the years 1400-1430. In the sanctuary, there are, among others, the most valuable in Silesia complex of grave sculptures and relics of Blessed Maria Luisa Merkert. Next to the church, there is an unfinished belfry, on top of which is, opened to the public in early 2005, a Treasury of St. James, which shows the unique products of goldsmith's art. Since Nysa was the centre of goldsmith's art in Silesia in the period between twelfth and eighteenth century. Among the "gold treasures" in the belfry, one can see, among others, chalices, patens, ciboria, monstrances.
Church of the Assumption of Blessed Virgin Mary
Built in the years 1688-92 Church of the Assumption of Blessed Virgin Mary is, together with college and gymnasium, one of the largest and state-of-the-art Baroque Jesuit complexes of Silesia. Inside, there is an interesting main altar and remains of Charles Dankwart's polychromes.
St. Anne's Seminary
The oldest remaining part of the Jesuit complex was built in the years 1656-57, it is an interesting example of the early Baroque building. The builder of the Seminary and the author of the project was Melchior Werner. In 1802 it was converted into hospital, and in 1809 a weapon factory was launched in it. Destroyed during the last war, it was rebuilt in 1969. Today, it houses the 1st and 2nd degree State Music School.
It was created in the years 1669-73 on the initiative of Bishop Charles Habsburg. There are preserved fragments of the defensive wall in the courtyard of the building. In the building of the collegium, there is a stunningly beautiful auditorium and a rich library. One of the first pharmacies was here, run by the monks. It is now the seat of the Group of Schools named after the founder of the "Carolinum".
Convent of the Sisters of St. Elizabeth
The Mother House of the Congregation of the Sisters of St. Elizabeth. An eclectic building built in the years 1863-65. The founder of the Congregation was blessed in 2007, a woman of Nysa, Maria Luisa Merket, called the "Silesian Samaritan". There is a memorial room, which was functioning as a secretariat during the life of the Mother. Preserved to this day is the desk at which she was working, the chest for storing important documents, precious memorabilia cabinets, including letters, first statutes, Cross of Merit, a plate from dowry, sealing wax stamps used by the Mother, first reliquary of 1872. Adjacent to the building of monastery is one of the most precious tenement houses of Nysa (Kramarska St.), built in the first half of the sixteenth century.
Ss. Peter and Paul the Apostles Church
The history of this built in the sixteenth century church is connected with the Order of Canons Regular – Guardians of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem (in Polish called also Bożogrobcy). Noteworthy are illusionistic polychromies made in 1730 by the brothers Thomas Christopher and Felix Anthony Scheffler, late Baroque main altar from 1730, regency pulpit, organ built by Wilhelm Scheffler in 1766, the chapel of the Holy Sepulchre and six baroque confessionals.
The Tower of Ziębicka Gate
Built in 1350 tower is a stone and brick Gothic building, which originally stood in the line of fortifications. In the second half of the nineteenth century it was renovated. There is a stone lion above the entrance, which was brought in 1488 from the Castle in Ziębice, after the victorious battle. Currently, the tower is a vantage point.