Via the Witch Cycling Track through the Czech-Polish border areas - Guide
Colour of the trail marking on the Polish side: black
Total length: 233 km (95 km on the Polish side, 138 km on the Czech side)
Route: Paczków – Pomianów Dolny - Lubiatów – Ligota Wielka – Sarnowice – Otmuchów – Ulanowice – Grądy – Rysiowice – Karłowice Wielkie – Słupice – Nowaki – Radzikowice – Sękowice – Nysa – Konradowa – Wyszków Śląski – Niwnica – Domaszkowice – Wierzbięcice – Kępnica – Hajduki Nyskie – Stary Las – Nowy Las – Charbielin – Jarnołtówek – Skowronków – Konradów – Głuchołazy – Zlaté Hory – Rejvíz – Česká Ves – Jeseník – Vernířovice – Sobotín – Velké Losiny – Rapotín – Šumperk – Mírov – Mohelnice
"The Witch Track" on the Czech side was created in 2006 and its originator was Jeseniky – Tourist Association. In 2009, to the order of County Administrator's Office in Nysa, in the framework of the "Via the Witch Cycling Track through the Czech-Polish border areas" project under the Czech Republic-Poland Cross-border Cooperation Operational Programme (POWT), the trail on the Polish side was laid out and marked (the trail was laid out and marked by Kazimierz Staszków, the excursionist from the PTTK (Polish Tourist and Sightseeing Society) in Nysa). Additionally, 10 informational boards relating to the history of the witch trials in the Polish-Czech border area were placed along the Polish section of the trail, and a guidebook with map was issued. An important element of the project was making the permanent museum exposition connected with the witch trials in the Museum in Nysa. In 2010, County Administrator's Office in Nysa and the Cycle Touring Club "Ktukol" from Głuchołazy (originator Eligiusz Jędrysek) established the Regional Tourist Cycle Badge "Via the Witch Track" with two ranks. Rules of the badge and terms and conditions for earning the badge are available on the websites of Nysa County: www.powiat.nysa.pl and KTK Ktukol www.ktukol.pl.
The Witch Track starts in Paczków, at the Executioner's House, in which the "Executioner's Chamber" is, which is a kind of open-air museum reconstructing the chamber of the executioner of Paczków.
Paczków - the city founded in the early thirteenth century. In 1254, a fortified castle, protecting the Duchy of Nysa and Otmuchów against Czechs and duchies of Silesia. The city was founded on the Flemish law and along with the act of foundation, it received a number of privileges (among others the right to brew beer). A city with a classic, medieval street layout, surrounded by around a 1200 metres stone walls with 19 shell bastions. The fortifications of Paczków, to this day, are one of the best preserved city fortifications in Poland. The entrance to the renaissance part of the city is protected by gate towers of: Kłodzko, Wrocław (currently observation), Ziębice, and later, renaissance one, of Nysa. The fortification complex makes Paczków to be called the "Polish Carcassonne". Other monuments include: the town hall with 48 metre high renaissance tower built by order of the Bishop Bartazar von Promnitz in the mid-sixteenth century, Renaissance, Baroque and Classical houses, St. John the Evangelist Church from the fourteenth century, which is an example of a Gothic defence temple with a unique church well called the "Tartar" well, and the Executioner's House (now Tourist Information Centre), built from the Prussian wall. One of the biggest attractions of the city the Museum of Gas Industry with a unique collection of gas meters.
Pomianów Dolny – the village mentioned in 1261, until the mid-eighteenth century, belonged to the Duchy of Nysa, now, it is situated in the Lower Silesian Voivodeship. The most important facilities: St. Francis Xavier's Church, built in the Baroque style, and in 1803, rebuilt to the Classical style, in front of the church the late Baroque figure of St. John of Nepomuk of the nineteenth century, the nineteenth century chapels by the roads, the ruins of the baroque palace of the eighteenth century with the ruins of mausoleum of the late nineteenth century, a complex of a former mill of the nineteenth century – now, a warehouse and a fodder factory.
Lubiatów – the village mentioned in 1335, with a valuable collection of monuments: Sts. Lawrence and Nicholas' Church mentioned in 1302, in its place, partially using its fragments, in the second half of the eighteenth century, a stately, late Baroque building was built, there is a Gothic bell of 1497 in the tower of the church, and in the wall surrounding the church, there is a penitential cross. Near the church are the ruins of the Renaissance manor house of around 1600, rebuilt in around the half of nineteenth century. There are also many shrines and roadside crosses preserved in the village. Outside the village, by the road to the north-east, there is a penitential cross.
Ligota Wielka – the village mentioned in 1261. In the 30's of the twentieth century, due to the construction of the Otmuchowskie Lake, the lower part of the village was deluged. During World War II, a small labour camp for Yugoslavian prisoners. In the village, there is the Church of Our Lady of Sorrows of 1929, referring to the Baroque architecture, with replica of Michelangelo's Pieta.
Sarnowice – the village mentioned in 1261. Today, the centre of tourism and recreation by the Otmuchowskie Lake with numerous agritourist farms. There is a seat of the "OPTY" Yacht Club and a Fishing Riverside Hostel PZW by the lake. The Chapel of Our Lady of the Rosary of the nineteenth century.
Otmuchów - the history of the city, and especially its beginnings, connect inseparably with the history Silesia and the bishops of Wrocław. Already in 1155, there was a castellany, mentioned in the Papal Bull of Wrocław, which developed into the Otmuchów City, founded on the Flemish Law in 1374. Until 1810, it remained in the hands of the bishops of Wrocław and was part of the Bishop's Duchy of Nysa. Repeatedly invaded and destroyed by Hussites, what resulted in a loss of many fortifications and the need of transfer the collegiate to the nearby Nysa. Otmuchów has never become a major urban centre, due to damages caused by the Silesian wars and the neighbourhood of Nysa and Paczków. Its boom is connected with the interwar period, when the near build water reservoir attracted many people and formed the city a tourist centre. While in Otmuchów, note the interesting architecture and precious, historical buildings. One of the most important is the Gothically-renassiance bishop's castle. In the second half of the seventeenth century, the castle was converted into a baroque residence of the bishops of Wrocław. A remnant of this reconstruction among others include unique "horse stairs" in the indoor staircase. Partially destroyed during Silesia wars, it was rebuilt once again in the mid-nineteenth century by Wilhelm Humbolt. Before World War II, adapted for the tourism purposes, serves the role to this day. Another valuable monument of Otmuchów is a Renaissance Town Hall, built in 1538, founded by Bishop Jacob von Salza. Its current look dates from 1817. In the corner of the Town Hall, there are sundials from 1575, funded by Bishop Martin Gerstmann, which bear two coats of arms: of the city and bishops'. Sacred architecture is also remarkable, which is represented by among others: Baroque Church of Sts. Nicholas and Francis Xavier with Michael Willmann's paintings and Charles Dankwart's polychromes, neo-Gothic St. Anna's Cemetery Church, or Marian Column made by Anthony Jorg in 1734 that stands in the main square of Otmuchów. The remains of the medieval city walls is the Gothic tower gate, preserved to the present day, called the "Nysa Tower" or the "Sparrow Tower", which once was the city prison is.
The fact that the city had its executioner is showed by the unique monument of the "executioner's wife" – the column standing at 1 May St. Blurred inscription reads: "I, Christopher Kuhn, the executioner, ordered to build for eternal glory of God, in honour of Anne Catherine Helbranin, my wife and housekeeper". Since 1620, there has been a torture chamber in Otmuchów, and the executioner belonged to the guild in Nysa. The first executioner was Wolf Bohmichen. The profession was passed through many generations, from father to son, until the mid-nineteenth century. Two families in Otmuchów lived off this craft.
Ulanowice – old Slavic village founded before 1300 on the Polish Law. There is a palace complex consisting of a Baroque palace, a manor, and a park with a Baroque column from 1724 topped with the statue of Christ.
Grądy – the village mentioned in 1300 as Hermansdorf, Herzmantowitz, Eherzen. At the pond, towards Laskowice, there is a fishery with catering facilities.
Rysiowice – the village founded in the first half of the thirteenth century as a knight's estate. In 1860, a magnificent palace was built here, with the characteristics of Romantic and Eclectic architecture with elements of neo-Renaissance, neo-Baroque or even neo-Romanesque architecture. The palace is surrounded by the park from the nineteenth century, with mausoleum from the late eighteenth and early nineteenth century. The palace is a private property and is not accessible to the public.
Karłowice Wielkie – the village mentioned in 1244 as villa Karlouicz. There is the St. Mary Magdalene's Church belonging to the most valuable in the region. The original was mentioned in 1244, the present, Baroque, built in 1758. The interior has a rich Baroque and Rococo décor and furnishings. On the wall of the church a Renaissance tombstone from the second half of sixteenth century and an epitaph from 1820. By the road to Kamiennik, there is a Baroque statue of St. John of Nepomuk from the eighteenth century. In Karłowice Wielkie, Edward von Grützner was born – author of portraits, still lifes, illustrations for the works of Shakespeare. His paintings, to this day, are popular among connoisseurs, and can be found in many collections and museums.
Słupice – the village was founded as a Slavic settlement, transferred to German Law before 1300. There is a shrine in the village from the nineteenth century, with neo-Gothic characteristics.
Nowaki – the village mentioned in 1921. On the river Korzkiew, near the village, a grave field of Lusatian culture and early medieval settlement, dating back to the tenth – thirteenth century, has been discovered. In the middle of the village there is a St. Andrew's Church, mentioned in 1335. In 1505, a new one was built in its place, later rebuilt several times, having parts of stylistic features blurred. Burnt down in 1945 and rebuilt in 1975. The church is surrounded by stone and brick wall built in the sixteenth century. By the road, opposite the church, a medieval penitential cross. In the village, eighteenth-century house with embedded cartouche with the coat of arms of Bishop Philip Schaffgotsch and the date 1758.
Radzikowice – the village mentioned in 1145 as Radzicowvicz or Steffensdorf. There is the St. Bartholomew's Church mentioned in 1335. It was built as the Gothic in style, rebuilt to the Renassance around 1600. The church is surrounded by a stone wall of the sixteenth/seventeenth century, next to the main entrance a Baroque Marian column from 1686. At the fence of the presbytery, one of the penitential crosses, the other is located near the church walls. Before World War II there was an airport, and during the war there were small labour camps, where Polish and British prisoners were kept.
Sękowice – brick, single-nave chapel from the mid-nineteenth century.
Nysa – founding of the "new" city on the Flemish Law is dated to the 1223, along with an older early medieval settlement, which is attributed to the Bolesław Wrymouth. The turning point in the history was the assumption of Otmuchów and Nysa castellany by the bishops of Wrocław. The total assumption of power, also the secular, over the lands of Nysa and Otmuchów, took place in 1290, which was the beginning of the Duchy of Nysa of Bishops of Wrocław, which lasted until 1810, i.e. to the secularization of church properties by the Prussian King, Friedrich Wilhelm III. The fifteenth century brought a huge development of the city, also in terms of architecture. Many buildings were build, among others: St. James and Agnes' Church, 90-meter-high tower of the town hall, St. Barbara's Church. Nysa, since the middle ages, was an important education and science centre. Since 1417, there had been a parochial school, later transformed into the gymnasium. In 1622, Jesuits were brought to the city and attempts to found the university in the city began. Documents indicate that the bishop was going to build a large college that was to have all faculties of Jesuit university. Direct care of bishops of Wrocław was to help in creation and operation of the future university. Unfortunately, the Thirty Years' War interrupted actions of the bishops and Jesuits. Instead of the great Jesuit university a college named "Carolinum" was established, in which, among others, Christopher Scheiner taught, the discoverer of sunspots. On the list of the students we can find, among others, Michael I (Michał Korybut Wiśniowiecki), the future King of Poland. At the turn of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries the city was extended in the Baroque style, example of which is the St. Peter and St. Paul's Church with the monastery of the Order of the Holy Sepulchre. Since 1740 the city was ruled by the Prussians, who transformed Nysa into one of the most important fortress of Silesia. In 1807, the city was besieged by the army of Napoleon. Cannonballs embedded, among others, into the wall of the Weigh House are the memorial of those events. The end of Nysa as a fortress came in the year 1889. Since then, the city becomes an administrative and cultural centre of the southern Opole Silesia. Today, Nysa is one of the most beautiful cities of Silesia with numerous monuments.
Minor Basilica of St. James and St. Agnes
Its history dates back to the beginnings of Nysa. Current, Gothic form, was given by Master Peter from Ząbkowice in the years 1400-1430. In the sanctuary, there are, among others, the most valuable in Silesia complex of grave sculptures and relics of Blessed Maria Luisa Merkert. Next to the church, there is an unfinished belfry, on top of which is, opened to the public in early 2005, a Treasury of St. James, which shows the unique products of goldsmith's art. Since Nysa was the centre of goldsmith's art in Silesia in the period between twelfth and eighteenth century. Among the "gold treasures" in the belfry, one can see, among others, chalices, patens, ciboria, monstrances.
Church of the Assumption of Blessed Virgin Mary
Built in the years 1688-92 Church of the Assumption of Blessed Virgin Mary is, together with college and gymnasium, one of the largest and state-of-the-art Baroque Jesuit complexes of Silesia. Inside, there is an interesting main altar and remains of Charles Dankwart's polychromes.
St. Anne's Seminary
The oldest remaining part of the Jesuit complex was built in the years 1656-57, it is an interesting example of the early Baroque building. The builder of the Seminary and the author of the project was Melchior Werner. In 1802 it was converted into hospital, and in 1809 a weapon factory was launched in it. Destroyed during the last war, it was rebuilt in 1969. Today, it houses the 1st and 2nd degree State Music School.
It was created in the years 1669-73 on the initiative of Bishop Charles Habsburg. There are preserved fragments of the defensive wall in the courtyard of the building. In the building of the collegium, there is a stunningly beautiful auditorium and a rich library. One of the first pharmacies was here, run by the monks. It is now the seat of the Group of Schools named after the founder of the "Carolinum".
Convent of the Sisters of St. Elizabeth
The Mother House of the Congregation of the Sisters of St. Elizabeth. An eclectic building built in the years 1863-65. The founder of the Congregation was blessed in 2007, a woman of Nysa, Maria Luisa Merket, called the "Silesian Samaritan". There is a memorial room, which was functioning as a secretariat during the life of the Mother. Preserved to this day is the desk at which she was working, the chest for storing important documents, precious memorabilia cabinets, including letters, first statutes, Cross of Merit, a plate from dowry, sealing wax stamps used by the Mother, first reliquary of 1872. Adjacent to the building of monastery is one of the most precious tenement houses of Nysa (Kramarska St.), built in the first half of the sixteenth century.
Ss. Peter and Paul the Apostles Church
The history of this built in the sixteenth century church is connected with the Order of Canons Regular – Guardians of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem (in Polish called also Bożogrobcy). Noteworthy are illusionistic polychromies made in 1730 by the brothers Thomas Christopher and Felix Anthony Scheffler, late Baroque main altar from 1730, regency pulpit, organ built by Wilhelm Scheffler in 1766, the chapel of the Holy Sepulchre and six baroque confessionals.
The Tower of Ziębicka Gate
Built in 1350 tower is a stone and brick Gothic building, which originally stood in the line of fortifications. In the second half of the nineteenth century it was renovated. There is a stone lion above the entrance, which was brought in 1488 from the Castle in Ziębice, after the victorious battle. Currently, the tower is a vantage point.
The Tower of Wrocław Gate
Built in 1351, heightened and rebuilt in the sixteenth and seventeenth century. In 1550 it was plastered and got new ornaments in the form of cut triangular peaks and spiral turrets in the corners. The entrance from Kolejowa St. decorated with the gantry from one of the tenement houses near the main square. Three coats of arms are the coping (the middle one of Bishop John Sitsch, the founder of the City Weight House).
The first defensive devices were wooden and earthen (1259 or 1261). It was only in the time of Bishop Przecław from Pogorzela, when stone and brick walls were built. There were seven gates: Ziębicka, Wrocław, Bracka and Celna – Nowe Miasto (New Town), and Bialska, Mikołajska i Zbójnicka in Stare Miasto (Old Town). To this day, two of them remained – Wrocław and Ziębicka. Preserved fragments of defensive walls are at: Bishop's Manor, monastery and the Church of Guardians of the Holy Sepulchre, arm of the river Biała, tower of Wrocław Gate, near the south tower of the Bishop's Castle, and in the garden of Jesuit collegium.
A Baroque masterpiece of blacksmith art, made in 1686 by William Helleweg, founded by the then mayor, Kasper Naas. The well became famous in Silesia thanks to its wonderful, iron, ornamentally decorated grate.
The pearl of Nysa baroque, made of Sławniowice marble in the years 1700-1701, in imitation of located in Rome, Bernini's fountain – Fontanna del Tritone in the Plazza del Tritone. In reference to the Roman tradition of placing on the front of many buildings the inscription S.P.Q.R. – "Senatus Populusque Romanus", that is "the senate and people of Rome", the residents of Nysa carved on the fountain the inscription S.P.Q.N. - "Senatus Populusque Nissiensis" - "the senate and people of Nysa".
The construction of this magnificent mansion of Wrocław bishops, was started by Bishop Charles Habsburg in 1620, and it was finished in 1729, during the reign of Bishop Francis Louis Neuburg. On the walls of the courtyard are old sundials, and in the courtyard you can see cannonballs, fragments of non-existent today town hall and two border posts of the Duchy of Nysa. Today, it houses a museum, and in it, among others: the exhibition on the history of witch trials in the Nysa and Jesenik border area. Next to the palace is a former seat of the bishops – the so-called bishop's manor.
City Weight House
It was built in the years 1602-1604, in the style of Northern Renaissance. It symbolizes the once flourishing trade in the city, it was the seat of the chamber of measures and weights. Destroyed during the Napoleonic Wars in 1807. Rebuilt after several decades. In memory of Napoleonic era, a stone cannonball was embedded in the southern façade of the building. In 1945, destroyed again and reconstructed in 1947. Today, there is a City and District Public Library.
Nysa fortificationsA turning point for the fortifications of Nysa was a reign of King Frederick II of Prussia, who decided to make Nysa a fortress. Architectural solutions of fortifications were decades ahead of its time and made Nysa one of the strongest and most advanced fortress in Europe at that time. To this day, at least half of the eighteenth-century buildings has preserved. In 2007 part of the buildings was revitalized, including Bastion of St. Hedwig and Water Fort. Visiting Nysa in the holiday season, at the turn of June and August, it is worth to see a remarkable staging of the Battle of Nysa Fortress. On the outskirts of the city, next to the railroad line, there is Hexenberg (Witch Mountain), where, according to the legend, Sabbaths on witches of Nysa took place. There is a permanent exhibition documenting the history of witch trails in the Nysa County, taking place in a small dungeon, in the courtyard and in one of the rooms of the former Bishop's Palace (now the Museum). The exhibition is divided into three parts: the courtroom, the chamber of herbalist and the prison. One can see there the replica of the seventeenth-century instruments of torture, among others: iron maiden, witches' throne, Spanish boots, heretic's forks, and many more. The exhibition is open during Museum business hours (www.muzeume.nysa.pl).
Konradowa - the Filial Church of St. Conrad, built in 1940 on the initiative of the parishioners. It is the only church with such dedication in this part of Europe. St. Conrad of Parzham (actually John Birndorfer) was born in Bavaria, called the Brother prayer, almost all his life he spent on the ministry the pilgrims, the poor and beggars, beatified in 1930 by Pope Pius XI, canonized in 1934.
Wyszków Śląski – Neo-Gothic chapel of St. George, built in the years 1822-1824, nineteenth-century granaries.
Niwnica – the village established in the thirteenth century. In 1297, there was a Church of the Feast of the Cross mentioned in the village, the current one is from the fifteenth century, rebuilt many times, Gothic, with almost completely blurred style features. There is a brick belfry next to the church, built in the years 1609-10. Other monuments include the shrine from the first half of the nineteenth century with the Baroque sculpture of St. John of Nepomuk and the former Renaissance mansion, built in 1618, rebuilt in 1868.
Domaszkowice – the village mentioned in 1136 as Rucherswalde, since 1838 Ritterswalde. There is a Church of St. George in the village, built in the thirteenth century, rebuilt in 1694, inside the church a wall polychromy from the turn of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. Around the church, fragments of the medieval wall, at which is a massive penitential cross associated by tradition with the assassination of a priest during the invasion of the Hussites in the fifteenth century. In the village there is also a Baroque statue of St. John of Nepomuk with a bas-relief scene of throwing the saint to Vltava River on the stone plinth. In the forest, near the village, the Chapel of St. Anne with shrines with the Stations of the Cross from 1877.
Wierzbięcice – old village, which roots dates back to the thirteenth century. Located in the village St. Nicholas' Church is from the mid-thirteenth century. In the sixteenth century, it received a Renaissance tower crowned with the attic. There are two penitential crosses by the road connecting Nysa and Prudnik. One of them has a blurred inscription (1623/DEN27/MARZ).
Kępnica – one of the oldest villages in the Duchy of Nysa, mentioned in the thirteenth century. Mentioned in the 1286 Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary. Rebuilt in the eighteenth century, renovated in 1883 and 1958, late Romanesque, with almost completely blurred style features. There is a penitential cross embedded n the outer fragment of the wall surrounding the church.
Old Forest – the village mentioned in 1249 as Waldow, Antiquum Waldow. There is a Neo-Baroque Church of St. Martin, built in the early fourteenth century. Parallel to the sign marking the end of the village are the remains of medieval settlement of the thirteenth century. In 1945, the death march route, that is the route of evacuation of Auschwitz concentration camp prisoners, was here.
New Forest – the village mentioned in 1249 as Silva Nostra. The oldest building in the village is the Church of St. Hedwig (originally of Blessed Virgin Mary). The current, rebuilt in the years 1819-1823, partially burnt in 1945 and rebuilt in 1949, late classical.
Charbielin – the village mentioned in 1263 as Villa of Lidvig, and in 1268 as Ludwigsdorf. In 1302 a church was mentioned here, currently the Church of St. John the Baptist, built in 1780, Baroque and Classical with blurred style features outside. In January, 1945, the so-called death march route ran through the village.
Jarnołtówek - the village mentioned in 1248 as Arnoltowicz. As a summer resort, Jarnołtówek has been known since the interwar period, when many magnificent boarding houses were built. Today, there are numerous holiday centres, farmhouses. Through Jarnołtówek runs the red trail, from Głuchołazy to Biskupia Kopa, and the trails (blue and yellow) from Pokrzywna. Noteworthy in the village is the manor complex from the mid-nineteenth century, former water mill (paper), anti-flood dam built by the Italians in the early twentieth century, and the Church of St. Bartholomew the Apostol from 1907. At the cementery, there is a restored obelisk commemorating the visit (19.07.1903) of the Empress Augusta Vicotria in the flood-devastated village. Numerous shrines and roadside crosses has preserved in the village. In the mid-nineteenth century, a "witch armchair" – made around 1650 instrument of torture - was found in the attic. It was a tripod stool of beech block, fitted with iron straps and bristling with nails.
A mountain pass at Castle Mountain (Zamkowa Góra) with the "Grave of the Witch" - it lies on the Polish – Czech border, at an altitude of 580m above sea level. East of the pass is a quartzite boulder called the "Grave of the Witch". According to the local legend, in 1614, was to be buried here the wife of the village administrator of Janovo, suspected of witchcraft and therefore executed. Another legend says that some woman from Jarnołtówek, who was also suspected of witchcraft, and who committed suicide, was buried here.
Skowronków – the village founded in 1786, until 1958, it was located on the territory of Czechoslovakia. As a result of the adjustment of Polish – Czechoslovak border, it was incorporated in Głuchołazy municipality. There is a red trail, leading to Biskupia Kopa, running through Skowronków.
Konradów – the village mentioned in 1263 as Villa Conradi. There is a Church of Christ the King from 1937 and numerous brick chapels and roadside crosses.
Głuchołazy - the city was founded by Bishop Lawrence between 1220 and 1232 as a fortified border settlement. Documents preserved Latin and German name of the city, Capraecolium and Cygenhals (1249), which was translated by people as Goat Neck. Founded on the Flemish Law, Głuchołazy, were repeatedly destroyed by fires and floods. The city is known for its gold mines. In 1683, the army of Hieronim Lubomirski, which was heading to Vienna, stopped here. In the nineteenth century, in Głuchołazy, a health-resort was founded, which used local water and therapeutic climate. There are many monuments preserved in the city, among others: Baroque Church of St. Lawrence with early Gothic gantry decorated with masks of monks, or fragments city walls with the tower of Upper (Górna) Gate built in the fourteenth century. However, Głuchołazy are mainly associated with gold mining. To this day we can find here relics of exploitation of this ore: mineshafts, claims, heaps of overburden deads and flushed winning. Relics of fluids and mining adits. An important element of the landscape of Głuchołazy are the Opawskie Mountains, inseparably connected with gold. Here, in 1988, "Opawskie Mountains" Landscape Park was created. Particularly noteworthy are the picturesque gorges of Biała Głuchołaska, Złoty and Bystry Potok, and encouraging to long hikes are not too high mountains. While hiking the tourist or nature and educational trails one can admire numerous natural monuments, adits after gold exploitation, interesting groups of rock outcrops or quarries after slates exploitation.
During the period of witch trails, Głuchołazy became famous for the fact that the accused were not burnt at the stake but hung outside the town. Today the hill is called Gallows Mountain. Remains of the victims, who were interrogated earlier in the basement of non-existent today Town Hall of Głuchołazy, were also buried on the hill. With witch trails is also associated the name of a rock cliff, called Devil's Rock, which is located several dozen metres from Gallows Mountain.
Zlaté Hory – foundation of the town is associated with local gold mining, what proves its former name "Edelstadt". The most interesting monuments include the Old Post Office from 1698 – currently the seat of the City Museum with an exhibition presenting the witch trails in the region of Jesenik and exhibition concerning the history of gold mining, Classicistic Town Hall, Baroque Chapel of the Holy Cross, Zlatorudné mlýny (mining heritage park), Edelštejn Castle ruins, a known pilgrimage place to Our Lady of Perpetual Help.
Trials of alleged witches in Zlaté Hory began during the Thirty Year's War, after the Black Death, in the 30s of the thirteenth century, when some of inhabitants were accused of causing the plague. As a result of witch trails in Zlaté Hory 85 people lost their lives. About those events reminds us the memorial plaque, which is placed on the building of the City Museum, and also a monument at the place of execution.
Rejvíz - mountain village, currently part of Zlaté Hory. There is National Nature Reserves with an area of 329.14 ha. It includes the largest complex of blanket bogs in Moravia, boggy spruce forests and meadows. The central area is covered by active bog with two, connected Moss Lakes – the Little and the Great one (Malé a Velké mechové jezírko).
Česká Ves – the owners of the village were the Schroth's and the Priessnitz's families, from which came the founders of the health resort in Dolní Lipové (Johann Schroth) and in Jeseník (Vincenz Priessnitz). The most important monuments include the Church of St. Joseph, the family home of Johann Schroth, the Auto-Moto Veteran Museum. As a result of witch trails in Česká Ves, 16 people were killed. To commemorate the victims, a special plaque was placed on the building of Municipal Office.
Jeseník – once the centre of episcopal property, today the economic and cultural centre of the region of Jeseník. The most important monuments of the city include the Renaissance fortress on water from the sixteenth century, with moat and stone bridge – currently, there is a museum, the Church of the Assumption of Blessed Virgin Mary from 1882, a Renaissance Town Hall, a Classicistic house from 1782 – so called torture chamber, a monument of Priessnitz from 1909, a family home of Priessnitz in Jeseník Zdroj. A popular trip destination is Křížový vrch with the Chapel of St. Anne.
In Jeseník, in the years 1622-1684, over 100 people were executed. In 1966, to commemorate the criminal trials, a stone monument in the form of large flame was placed in the place of previous executions. There is a memorial plaque on the so-called torture chamber, in which, according to statements, the last executioner of Jeseník and Vidnava, Michael Wachsmann, was to live.
In the basement of the fortress on water, there is a museum exhibition on the witch trials in the years 1622-1695 on the land of Jesenik. One element of the exhibition is a film about Barbara Schmied – the first woman accused of witchcraft, burnt at the stake in July 3, 1622, in Nysa. The film is shown in fog screen technology (the image is displayed on a translucent screen of dry fog, floating above the ground).
Vernířovice – a known holiday resort with numerous eating places and rich accommodation base. The most interesting monuments include the Baroque sculpture of St. John of Nepomuk from 1727, the late Baroque Church of St. Matthew – rebuilt in Classical style in the first half of the nineteenth century.
The origins of the witch trials in the lands of Losiny and in Šumperk are connected with Vernířovice. It is here, in August 7, 1679, a local beggar, Marina Schuchova, accused of stealing the host from the church in Sobotín village, was burnt alive. There is a monument to the victims of witch trials in the park in front of the Municipal Office.
Sobotín – late Renaissance Church of St. Lawrence from 1607, former nineteenth-century castle and the Klein Family Mausoleum from 1887. At the cemetery, next to the Church of St. Lawrence is a monument dedicated to the victims of witch trials.
Velké Losiny – the pearl of the North West Moravia with Renaissance castle from the late sixteenth century, with Baroque outbuildings and magnificent park, thermal spa, handmade paper mill, and late Renaissance Church of the St. John the Baptist from the early seventeenth century, with stone "witchcraft" altars of the late seventeenth century. There is a monument of the 36 victims of witch trials in the spa park, in front of the Šárka pavilion. There is a memorial plaque on the Žerotínsky Castle, in which in the years 1678-1686, 38 innocent victims of the witch trials were imprisoned, tortured and sentenced to death.
Rapotín – Baroque Chapel of St. Michael, Neo-Gothic Church of the Assumption of Blessed Virgin Mary from 1874, next to the church is a monument of the 7 victims of witch trials, who came from Rapotín, stone shrine of witches from the end of the seventeenth century. Shrines of the witches were probably built by relatives of the witches convicted during the trials.
Šumperk – the city founded in the thirteenth century in the crown lands, connected with the noble metals mining, today the most important economic and cultural centre of North West Moravia. The most interesting monuments: the former monastic Baroque Church of the Annunciation of Blessed Virgin Mary, the Baroque Church of St. Barbara with rich frescoes, the remains of city fortifications, shrines of witches, a monument, near the lake, commemorating the executions of 23 innocent victims of witch trials from Šumperk in the years 1682-1692, the memorial plaque placed in the former prison location, at Černohorska St., where in the years 1679-1696, 22 victims of witch trials were imprisoned, tortured and sentence to death, the memorial plaque dedicated to the dean and parson of Šumperk, Kryštof Alois Lautner, of the former presbytery (Kostelní nám.), who was burnt alive in Mohelnice in 1685. In the basement of Geshader House (1 Kladská St.), there is an exhibition presenting the history of witch trials in the region of Jesenik and Šumperk.
Mírov – Mírov was first mentioned as a castle in 1266, from 1465 it was a property of the Olomouc Bishopric. The most important monuments: the castle from the mid-thirteenth century, the Baroque Church of St. Magdalene, the complex of four shrines, sculptures and monuments dedicated to the memory of political prisoners and victims of fascism. There is a monument of the victims of witch trails in the park next to the castle.
Mohelnice – until the fourteenth century, the seat of the feudal province of Olomouc Bishopric and an important trade and craft centre. The city burnt and destroyed repeatedly during the Hussite wars and the Thirty Years' War. The most important monuments: the Gothic Church of St. Stanislaus from the end of the sixteenth century, the remains of the city fortifications with towers, the museum with a rich archeologic collection, and also the monument of at the place of Father Lautner burning, and memorial plaque on the house of witches.